The SimpleInvoices forum has moved to Google Plus - this forum is now read-only
Installation woes!
  • anandkasturianandkasturi September 2008

Hi

Am a 'rank beginner' with no knowledge of PHP etc, and have tried to follow the steps to install SI. However, it just doesn't seem to work, and I need some advice on where I'm going wrong. I use a MacBook Pro, with Mac OS X 10.5.5

1.. I downloaded MAMP and installed it fine. It is working OK. (PHP version 5.2.6)

2.. I downloaded the simpleinvoices…zip file and extracted the simpleinvoices folder to my webservers document root.

I wasn't sure of this, but it seems to be /library/webserver/documents/… on a Mac. Is this right?
    3.. I changed the Apache document root address for MAMP using the MAMP preferences dashboard, to the same directory (i.e. /library/webserver/documents).

4.. I used phpMyAdmin to create a new database titled simple_invoices, as instructed. I then used the “import” feature on phpMyAdmin to import the simpleinvoices.sql file that I'd downloaded (in the zip file). This went OK.

5.. I notice that phpMyAdmin creates this database in the following directory - /MAMP/db/mysql…

Is this right? Or should I move this also to the 'document root' ie /library/webserver/documents?
    6.. I modified the config.php file in /simpleinvoices/config as instructed. I left the name of the database server as 'localhost'. Pls see (5) above…. does this mean I have to move the simple_invoices database to /library/webserver/documents???

7.. I don't know how to do the chown or chmod steps…. terminal? Anyway, I used Mac's Ctrl-I option to ensure that simpleinvoices directory is “read and write” by me (ie. admin user of computer).

8.. After this, I wanted to test the thing… so I typed “http://localhost/simpleinvoices” into my browser. I get a page with a list of all the files in the directory. Incidentally, next to all the ”.php” files there is a question mark.

9.. To test php GD status, I typed “http://localhost/simpleinvoices/phpinfo.php” into my browser window, and it displays the file as if in a text editor (i.e. starting with the line ”<?php” then /* * Script: quick_view.tpl * Show the servers PHP settings” and so on).<br />
    Please advise me on what I've done wrong?

I've seen the demo of SI, and it is really exciting with great features for an individual consultant like me to manage invoices … but need your help in setting it up!!!

Thanks in advance for the help.

Anand

• anandkasturianandkasturi September 2008

Hi

Am thrilled that I got it all to work, entirely on my own :-)

Thanks for a great product!

It's all working well... the only 'enhancement' I'd be very keen on is to be able to apply multiple tax rates to one single item (i.e. I bill for XXX, then add 12% sales tax, and then add 2% special tax, and so on)... is this at all possible?

Cheers
    anand

• justinjustin September 2008

thanks anand

great to hear its working now!

was meaning to reply sooner but your post had so many different points :)

can you detail how you fixed it so it others have the same issues they can learn from your experience

cheers

justin

SmarterInvoices.com :: Simple Invoices hosting | Kelly.org.au :: Simple Invoices custom development | justin.kelly.org.au
  • anandkasturianandkasturi October 2008

Hi

Would be happy to, though not sure I tracked everything I did the second time :-)

#2, 3, 5 - I decided to stick with the MAMP directory - so used /Applications/MAMP/htdocs as the 'webserver document root' directory

#6 - I decided to use phpMyAdmin to add a user (not 'root') and a password, and then used that username and password when modifying 'config.php' in simpleinvoices folder
    (the database is in /MAMP/db - which is done automatically by phpMyAdmin when creating the database)

#7 - was not an issue, so guess my Cmd-I trick worked

#8 - this is the biggie ... I type in the following into my browser - http://localhost:8888/simpleinvoices - and it works! Don't know why, not that technically qualified/ knowledgeable, but it works (by the way - is there something 'wrong' in doing that? i.e. using :8888?)

If this helps others, I'd be incredibly thrilled!

Cheers
    anand

PS: Justin - any way of getting multiple additive tax rates? Thanks :-)

• justinjustin October 2008

thanks anand for the update

re (by the way - is there something 'wrong' in doing that? i.e. using :8888?)
    - nope - nothing wrong at all - thats fine

re any way of getting multiple additive tax rates?
    - not at the moment unfortunately - but its on the list of this to implement

cheers

justin

SmarterInvoices.com :: Simple Invoices hosting | Kelly.org.au :: Simple Invoices custom development | justin.kelly.org.au

Categories